14.11.12

If it makes you happy


It can't be that wrong

Sheryl Crow

Yesterday a survey was published. it said that florists and gardeners were happier in their work than anyone else.

They painted a picture of us all cartwheeling with joy. I can't cartwheel or do a handstand, the splits yes, but cartwheeling, no. My BAGA career was short lived. I think I got the first badge for doing a forward roll.

I'm curious as to who they asked.

Most of the florists i know, are racked with self-doubt and just generally frustrated that they made a big arrangement for the window, and forgot the window isn't that big, and now it's just sitting on the shop floor mocking them.

or maybe that's just me?

It also said that bankers and IT workers were the least happy, which leaves no hope whatsoever for Cityboy1. Poor chap.

These 2 ladies from The Brown Flower shop look relatively happy, I first thought that they were British, given that the girl appears to be driving on the right hand side, but we don't have any roads that go up to 2820.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

no you certainly aren't the only one filled with self doubt. you seem to one of the few honest florists out there, who moans about the climatic impact on our appearance, how the customer always believes they know more that you for they have attended a two hour flower arranging course and of course it is always so bloody cold you can't feel anything. those florists they asked clearly were too overcome with bleach fumes to know what they were saying!

Bow Street Flowers said...

any right brain activity has it hands down over bankers ... sure wish I owned an old Woody for delivering flowers.

Jenny Rudd said...

I worked as a trader in the city for a few years and now I'm a writer. I love both jobs but there is much more scope for panic and self loathing in the former. Luckily I did that job in my twenties when I was an ignorant and arrogant twat, unencumbered by such lefty notions as moral obligation.
Certainly there is much romance in the perception of your job, Simone. I'm not sure I'd like to be up at dawn's crack each day though and spend my days with cold wet hands. I had enough of that when I worked in a salad factory. As always, love your posts xx

Lotte and Bloom said...

i heard this story too. interesting as it doesn't fit with many florists i know either...

Martin & the Magpie said...

If i did a cartwheel you'd have to call the paramedics.... we love Brown (?)Flower Shops car..a morris minor traveller might fit the bill over here...

FlowerGirl26 said...

I always thought it was undertakers who were happiest in their jobs. They always seem to be such happy smiley people (ironically) and they derive much satisfaction from knowing they helped someone through a difficult time.

And yes, self-doubt, utter nerves before a big event, numbness, so many early mornings and late nights you could scream... All sounds terribly familiar to me. :-)

KateB said...

Re the rather fabulous florist's car...there is a village called Throckmorton here in Worcestershire, near Evesham.
I hope that the knowledge your blog is much appreciated by those who wish they could do what you do, so beautifully (ie. non-florists)will up your happiness levels! Kate x